Quilters' Challenge





As quilters we all have received that call from the owner of a treasured quilt that perhaps you made for them as a wedding gift, a leaving for college hug, or a simple recognition of a new milestone. As grandparents...we receive the usual calls...from the "can I wash this?' to the "OMG, crying, what do I do now, the dogs ate it. Our usual responses-- yes to the washing and explain how and then, "it's okay, tell me what happened. Nana can fix it, while under my breath...muttering "PROBABLY". 

I think I have patched, replaced and unstained every quilt I've sent my grands, each treasured for a different reason by a different grand: the missing and treasured baby quilt found filthy in the barn, the very loved and worn baby quilt that she snuggled up with whenever stessed and this quilt for which she chose the fabric, pattern and layout as the perfect quilt for college.  However, never has two dogs nor their mistress loved a quilt this much. They had chewed holes in separate corners, and had a tug of war while she was in class or at work. It was their security blanket, and hers. I was lucky, this was a quilt for which I made too many blocks, had extra fleece from the backing and labeled everything. Amazingly, I knew exactly where they were ..an omen, ya think. I'm feeling cocky, I can fix it or remake part of it, how bad could it be. And then the quilt arrives. "Houston, we have a problem". 


I wish I had taken a photo of the disaster that felt out of the box. Thank goodness, it had not been washed...but eweeee! That did make it interesting: I had to secure the pieces before washing. 

Definitely a challenge, but it is fixed, definitely not perfect, but still loveable. The photos show the repaired quilt...every butterfly covering teeth marks and tears, ever paw print block replacing missing chucks, blocks replaced where feasible.








The applique in the center covers a shredded block that says it all..."Dogs leave paw prints on your heart...and other things."

Still loveable.




Comments

Popular Posts