Adventures During a Pandemic

Good afternoon, I hope you're finding fun things to keep your mind, hands and heart busy. I'm sure y'all are a little tired of the word "Unprecedented" and hoping things change sooner rather than later. We do live in the midwest, where although not unscathed, life has mostly been challenging. Some are struggling with the illness itself, some are struggling with the financial burdens, and some are strugging with the isolation and stress. We will get through this and everyone is in this together. There maybe a light at the end of this tunnel; it will just take time.

We are fortunate in that most of our activities can be accomplished while homebound. Of course, I put new warps on three of my looms, and finished one. I have a quilt that needs binding, and I did get the binding cut and that sweather I started in February, well, it is six inches longer... PROGRESS.


All pretty and ready to weave.
I'm getting cocky..so...I decided to weave off that warp that's been on my Macomber since who knows when. However, Mac had other plans for me...Mac thought I needed to learn how to take my Macomber B1, a 50 year old loom apart. You see, it jammed, nothing moved. Nada! I didn't have any manual, I'd bought it used and mechanics, well, not my long suit. I am in trouble. Should I sacrifice the warp?  What was it to start with? Oh, yeah, it was a runner woven by the children at various exhibits/events  that I've done over the LAST 4-5 years. At each event, each child added a piece, an inch or two. Sacrifice,  it is, and the runner will now become either place mats or lots of mug rugs.

How do you service something you know nothing about?  Today we first check the internet, blogspot, YouTube, our friends and lastly, the manufacturer.  I did discover that the first thing you do before you touch anything is take pictures, so that when you take it apart, you'll know how it goes back together. Did I do that, no, of course not.

Long story short...I discovered the lubricant on the lam mechanism had jelled into something resembling dried rubber cement. After many hours of picking it off and out on the "wheely" parts, and cleaning, I now have a prestine loom. I cleaned, shined, lubricated, beewaxed, and lemon oiled the appropriate parts.

And there is a manual online at the manufacturer's archives that I have now downloaded and READ. Amazing how helpful that was.


Ah, the learning curve of life.



Comments

Popular Posts