Pillows, pillows....It's a GOOD DAY.

The Mammo pillows, as we affectionally call them, help protect both the chest and underarm area, as well as the chemotherapy site from seat belts. They are shaped like a heart. One side is handwoven fabric, made by our weavers; the other side is commercial cotton, donated by the quilters, weavers or Inspirations, a local quilt shop. This allows the softer handwoven side to cushion the body, the commercial fabric to absorb the friction from the seat belt and the shape to be molded as needed.
Last week, the stuffing flew, needles aplenty, and threads were in the air, our weavers finished 82 more pillows. To date, I believe we have contributed more than 300 pillows. Each one is more lovely and unique than the next, all completed with compassion and joy. The pillows are truly appreciated by the recipients. I often receive thank you notes, saying "it made my day"; "it's so soft and comfortable"; "I'm not alone", "thanks, a true treasure". The need for the pillow may last many years, and most keep them as a reminder to live strong for however long life is...may it be a year or a hundred years. One woman, who has been on this journey for several years and was one of the first recipients, said it best... "Whenever I see my pillow, I smile. It's going to be a GOOD DAY."

Comments

Popular Posts